Sunday, May 15, 2011

Karkonosze - Sniezka - 1602m

October 2005. Actually everybody knows Karkonosze. Routes quite well marked, Czech style, but main routes are wide enough anyway, so we don't have to check maps all the time. Maybe just for controlling timetables. And I didn't have much time.
It's hard to miss Hala Szrenicka moving south from Szlarska Poreba. But then came stormy wind, heavy fog and drizzle, so I couldn't see further than 5 meters, no views, it was better to watch the road. Weather made me move slowly (I was alone on KGP for the first time), so I got to Samotnia hostel 4 hours late according to plan. And I planned to get there before nightfall. So it's easy to guess that these 4 hours were 4 hours spent on carefully moving by night (torch helped just to see the ground).
4 hours of sleep and I should go to get Sniezka, where I got at 5.30 am, but there was as dark as at midnight. Drizzle again and strong wind during way down and I was going down along a steeper slope with chains. Few times the wind made me step back. Luckily there came the dawn and weather became stable before the noon. Surprisingly I got to Karpacz 2 hours earlier I expected. I think whole life it's not enough to learn mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment